Monday, February 8, 2010

Prompt #2: What's in a name?

It is funny how many people consider a name to be so unimportant while it is actually a major and significant detail in people's lives. Names are sometimes given to show the history, language, and culture of a person's origin and to symbolize character and importance. Moreover, names are strongly influenced by culture in many countries. However, in some countries people are more variable on giving names.
Since I was born and raised in the United States, many Americans whom I acquiant with might not know the origin of my name. However, my name, Sandra Milena, does help define who I am. For many, Sandra might not mean anything special or be tied to a culture or language. However, when a Colombian hears Sandra Milena, they will find the name to be very familiar, especially since it is the most common female name in our country. Sandra Milena just like Maria Camila, Maria Alejandra, Paula Andrea, Juan Esteban, Carlos Fernando, Daniel Mauricio, Andres Felipe, Nicolas Antonio are all common names of Colombia. It is very rare for someone to not have a middle name. These names, when pronounced in another language such as English, might sound weird or might not flow properly; however, these sound quite pleasant to one’s ear in Spanish in particular when pronounced with the Colombian accent. Moreover, I feel as though my name truly does tie me with my roots.
If I would be asked to change my name, although I dislike how it is pronounced in English, I would not change it. My name is part of my identity. I would no longer be me without my original birth-name. If my parents chose that name for me, it is for a reason. After twenty years of carrying that name with me, it would feel weird to be called something else. Not only would I refuse to change my name because I am used to it, but also because it is my identity; my name is what I use to communicate with society.
The comedy is trying to communictae to its readers that o
ne experiences a lack of identity by changing one's original name. "Johnathan changed his name to blend in and assimilate into the majority of the culture at the company." By doing this, Jonathan has lost his true identity, who he is as a person. It is almost as if Jonathan feared being different. He felt that being different would cost him his job; however, being different would actually make him stand out more. Being different makes one exciting, interesting, and memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment